The Northern Territory Branch of the RACI comes from a diverse background and represents a wide group of interests in chemistry. The branch holds a number of activities each year.
In 2013 we once again hosted including the Bayliss Youth Lecture, this year presented by Dr. Ian MacLeod from the WA Museum. This lecture was held in conjunction with the Western Australian Branch and the Chemical Education Division.
The IYC commissioned several touring exhibitions in 2011 which will continue touring for a number of years. The Periodic Table exhibition came to Darwin in 2012 and travelled through parts of the NT throughout 2013, making it to Jabiru, Katherine, Nhulunbuy as well as several schools in the Darwin and Palmerston areas.
The NT Branch also held a laboratory tour in June 2013 at the North Australian Centre for Oil and Gas which is a recent addition to Charles Darwin University. The tour was a great success, if you would like to know more about this exciting new centre click here.
2017 Committee Members
Australian National University
Charles Darwin University
Australian Institute of Marine Science
Menzies School of Health Research
The NT Branch sponsors several awards each year to promote excellence in the study of chemistry in the NT. These awards are:
- Outstanding Academic Achievement in the field of Chemical Education - Best student in Chemical Education at Charles Darwin University
- Outstanding Academic Achievement in 1st year Chemistry - Best Chemistry student in 1st year at Charles Darwin University
- Outstanding Academic Achievement in 2nd year Chemistry - Best Chemistry student in 2nd year at Charles Darwin University
- NT Board of Studies & RACI Chemistry award - Best student in Year 12 Chemistry in the NT
- RACI NT Branch School Chemistry awards - Best student in Year 11 Chemistry in each NT school
Crystal Growing Competition 2017
The NT Branch is hosting a Crystal Growing Competition in 2017
The flyer can be found here.
Helpful tips on how to grow crystals.
The registration and alum order forms can be downloaded here: PDF